We’ve all experienced being in a car with fogged up windows (yes, we said “foggy windows”, not “steamy windows”, for all your dirty minds!), and it’s pretty frustrating trying to keep the windows clear while you set off on a drive. Car window heaters are great for rapidly clearing windows, but we often get left with a wet, almost drippy film on the inside of the window which means you’re endlessly wiping just to see straight. The drippy film that’s left on your windows leaves stains on the windows and eventually evaporates into the air. The interior of your car ultimately absorbs this moisture.
How To Notice Condensation Damage
Ever come back from holiday and noticed a damp smell in your car? Lots of people may notice some faded damp patches on their seats, and over time, moisture that’s evaporated into our car interior creates a generally damp environment in the vehicle. Over time this could also cause problems with the electrics in your car, causing problems with your ECU. If left untreated, condensation can even lead to instances of mould growing. Mould affects the quality of the air and when inhaled, can adversely affect your breathing. Something as simple as driving to work in an environment where mould is present could actually have a very harmful impact on your health - not to mention the deterioration of your vehicle! Excessive condensation is also a major problem in many of our homes, caravans and mobile homes, so you’ll be delighted to know that we have an extremely simple solution to fight condensation - Ladies and Gentlemen, we give you the Car Dehumidifier.
What are Car Dehumidifiers And What Are They Used For?
A Car Dehumidifier is a sack that is filled with moisture-absorbing materials, similar to silica gel beads. The Pingi Car Dehumidifier is special because it is completely rechargeable and it will never leak. It is used to prevent the build-up of condensation on the interior windows of cars eliminating the chance of any mould and moisture damage to the interior of the vehicle. The great thing about car dehumidifiers is that you don’t need to have them plugged in or charged up. A car dehumidifier is the best solution to absorb moisture in your car, eliminating early morning fogged windows, musty odours and other moisture-related problems. Using a dehumidifier is a really cheap way of avoiding these simple frustrations in the car, around the home, and particularly in mobile homes and caravans.
How Does Condensation Build Up?
Condensation builds when there is a temperature and moisture imbalance between the inside and outside of the car. When your car is sitting out in the cold, it leads to warmer air being trapped in a closed environment, and this is what leads to the damp smell in the car. The moisture in the car comes in contact with the cold air which is on your windscreen and this is what forms into beads of water. Condensation can occur from a multitude of things. If you have any wet items like an umbrella or a jacket left inside your car, this can also cause condensation to form - even breathing in the car can lead to heavy condensation!
What Damage Can Condensation Do?
Condensation can cause a range of problems, from minor inconveniences to serious health and safety issues.
- Visibility: Fogged up windows cause visibility issues, particularly noticeable on winter mornings or driving during a rainfall. You may even notice condensation quickly forming on your windows when you have extra passengers (breathing) in the car. This will force you to use your car fans to demist your windows, and if you wipe condensation away, you’re generally left with streak stains.
- Mould: Mould is formed by damp conditions mixed with a warm environment, which can easily occur in your car. If you leave your window cracked or your sunroof open on a rainy day, this will be the perfect breeding ground for mould. Inhaling mould spores can seriously damage your lung function. Mould staining can be extremely difficult to remove from your car interior.
- Electrical Damage: Condensation evaporates into the air inside your car. While most electrical components are sealed, over time these seals can degrade and moisture can get in. This can cause a whole heap of electrical problems and interfere with your ECU.
A simple fix for this issue is to get a Car Dehumidifier. We recommend the Pingi Car Dehumidifier - they’re cheap and they completely solve this problem. Once you place the Pingi dehumidifier in your car overnight on a cold evening, you’ll return to a completely moisture-free, damp-free and condensation free car the next morning. You can use the PINGI dehumidifier in your home also, by placing it near the spot that usually suffers from condensation, and it’ll get to work.
Recommended for Cars: PINGI Car Dehumidifier
What’s great about this dehumidifier, is that it acts as a complete car moisture absorber and it never leaks. It can be completely recharged by popping it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. meaning you don’t need to constantly buy new dehumidifiers. This product can be used in your car, home, motorhome, tent, or even your caravan. It works by extracting any moisture in the air and absorbing it in the moisture-absorbing gel beads contained in the watertight, expandable sack. Once the Pingi Dehumidifier has absorbed all the moisture is capable of, all you have to do is simply put it in the microwave for 6 minutes and allow it to regenerate itself. All the moisture evaporates turning the indicator back from pink to blue. This is a non-toxic product so its safe around children and pets alike. You can drive off, completely clear from condensation when you have a Pingi Dehumidifier.
Recommended for Homes: Draper Mobile Dehumidifier
If you are looking for something a bit more substantial for your mobile home or even for your house if it suffers from bad condensation build-up, Draper has just the product you are looking for. The Draper Mobile Dehumidifier can store up to 10 litres of water at a time. This plugin dehumidifier is the ideal for around the house, in your mobile home or in a caravan also. With its removable bucket, it can be used repeatedly to prevent any condensation build-up. Soaking up any moisture in the air, your home is sure to be mould free, no matter the level of dampness that was present prior to purchasing this product.
Recommended for Quick Visibility: Kent Demister Pad
While this item won’t prevent condensation, it’ll help you rapidly clean it away to a streak-free finish. The Demister Pad is used to clear the condensation on the inside of the windscreen when it’s fogged up. These are more useful if you don’t already have a dehumidifier, and you are in a rush and need to clear the windscreen as soon as possible.
How To Remove Dampness or Mould From A Car
If you have spotted mould clusters in the car, or you have experienced a damp smell, then here are some steps to take which will help you to solve the problem
- Check for leaks. This could be allowing water in, causing damp patches. Once the damp is mixed with more humid conditions, this allows mould to grow. Check all your window seals thoroughly.
- Thoroughly clean the windows of the car both on the inside and the outside using a dedicated glass cleaner to help to get rid of the dirt film, which helps to trap and store moisture.
- Vacuum mould spots fully. Use diluted white vinegar to dab away the remaining spores. Depending on the infestation, we’d recommend that you fully wash and dry the seats, carpets using a high-quality interior shampoo, and replace the car mats. Car mats are inexpensive to replace and completely rejuvenate the car interior. If you have seat covers, we’d recommend thoroughly washing and drying them, or replacing them. Drying is paramount, don’t leave anything damp!
- Ventilate the cabin. Leaving the windows open helps to reduce the build-up of moisture as fresh air is able to ventilate the interior of the car and dry out damp areas. This allows the car to air itself out.
- Ensure mould is prevented from growing again by getting a Car Dehumidifier
Hopefully you now understand a little more about condensation and how it can really damage your surroundings if it’s left untreated. Get everything you need to fight condensation and mould in your vehicle on www.MicksGarage.com.